Crochet Hat And Scarf Set – Free Pattern – Off The Hook
Hello everyone, todays pattern is this sweet crochet hat and scarf set complete with adorable owl motif decoration. I designed this set for a friend of mine. She wanted something different from the usual beanie style hat and didn’t want a traditional tasselled scarf. The paperboy style hat seemed like a great alternative, and the motifs on the scarf make a good alternative to tassels decoration.
Front post and back post double crochet
The hat has a cute ridge pattern radiating out from the top and the scarf has a matching ridged stripe pattern. These ridges are made using front and back post double crochet stitches. This is a more advanced stitch than I usually use in my patterns, but it is very easy to pick up and is a useful stitch to know.
For the front post double crochet you will be working the right side of the piece. Yarn over as you would a normal dc but instead of inserting the hook into the top of the stitch, insert it behind the post of the stitch bellow pushing the post to the front. Finish the dc stitch as normal.
Back post double crochets are worked into the back side of a piece of work. Insert the hook around the front of the post bellow so you the post is at the back of the hook. These two YouTube videos give a clearer description of the stitch.
Crochet hat and scarf set
2 brass buttons.
3mm, 4mm, 5mm hooks.
All stitches are using US terms.
Dc = double crochet
Hdc = half double crochet
Sc = single crochet
Fpdc = front post double crochet
Bpdc = back post double crochet
Pic = picot stitch (ch 3, slip st to back of 1st ch)
1) Ch 105 (1-2 yrs) 115 (Toddler) or 125 (Child) working into back loops dc into each ch starting 2nd from hook.
2) ch 1 (turning chain) dc into next 4 stitches *fpdc, dc into next 4 stitches* repeat till end
3) ch 1 (turning chain) dc into next 4 stitches, *bpdc, dc into next 4 stitches* repeat till end.
Repeat rows 2 and 3 three times for size 1-2yr, four times for Toddler or 5 times for Child size.
Sc along top and bottom of scarf to finish.
Large owl motif
1) ch 4 and join into a ring. Make 6sc into the ring, slip st to 1st sc to join.
2) ch4, dc into same stitch, *dc ch1 dc into next stitch* 5 times. Join to 3rd ch of the ch4. Change colour
3) *sc, 2sc* 9 times
4) sc into next 2 stitches, 2sc* 9 times
5) Sc into next stitch, hdc and dc into next stitch, tr ch1 tr into next stitch, dc, hdc into next stitch, sc into next 3 stitches, hdc and dc into next stitch, tr ch1 tr into next stitch, dc, hdc into next stitch, *sc into next 2 stitches, 2sc* rep till end of row.
6) slip stitch next 5 stitches, pic, slip st next 10 stitches, pic , slip next 4 stitches.
ch4, join into loop, 6sc into loop, slip st to join.
1) ch4, join into loop, 6sc into loop
2) 2sc into each stitch. Change colour
3) *Sc, 2sc* 6 times
4) *Sc into next 2 stitches, 2sc* 6 times
5) sc and hdc into next stitch, dc, pic, dc into next stitch, hdc and sc into next stitch, slip st into next stitch, sc, hdc into next stitch, dc, pic, dc into next stitch, hdc sc into next stitch slip stitch to join.
Ch 5, sc into 2nd ch from hook, hdc, hdc, sc, pic, turn work and work into back loops, sc, hdc, hdc, sc, slip st to join.
3mm for 1- 2 yr old. 4mm for toddler sized. 5mm for child sized.
1) ch4 join into a ring, Ch 3, 11dc into ring slip st to 3rd ch of ch3 to join
2) Ch 3, fpdc into same stitch * dc into next stitch, fpdc into same stitch* 11 times, slip st to join to 3rd ch of ch 3.
3) Ch 3, dc into same stitch, fpdc into next stitch, *2dc, fpdc into next stitch* 11 times, slip st to 3rd ch of ch3 to join.
4) Ch 3, 2dc into next stitch, fpdc, *, dc, 2dc, fpdc into next stitch* 11 times, slip st to 3rd ch of ch3 to join.
5) Ch 3, dc, 2dc, fpdc, * dc into next 2 stitches, 2dc, fpdc into next stitch* 11 times, slip st to 3rd ch of ch3 to join.
6- 18) ch 3, dc into next 3 stitches, fpdc* dc into next 4 stitches, fpdc* 11 times, slip st to 3rd ch of ch 3 to join.
19-20) hcd into each stitch.
21) slip st into next 21 stitches
22- 24) ch 1(turning chain, do not work into) hdc into the next 21 stitches
25) ch 1, hdc 2tog, hdc next 17 stitches, hdc 2 tog
26) ch 1, hdc 2tog, hdc next 15 stitches, hdc 2 tog. Sc down edge of peak, slip st into each st around the edge of the cap, sc up other edge of peak, slip st join.
Ch 26, hdc into 2nd ch from hook. Hdc into next 23 chains, 3hdc into last ch, turn and working into back loops hdc into next 24 loops, 2hdc into last loop. Slip st to join.
Sew onto front of hat above the peak. Sew a button either side of the band.
Once you have finished the hat, scarf and owls you can sew the owls onto the hat and scarf and embroider the branches on. Then sew on the leaves.
This crochet hat and scarf set is super cute and i’m looking forward to seeing it on the little lady it was made for.
Scientific Fact ~ Bloggers feed on blog comments. Please help keep this blogger well fed♡
Thank you, Mrs A Xx